[NBLUG/talk] Need some help with XWindows

Todd Cary todd at aristesoftware.com
Thu Mar 11 22:27:02 PST 2004

<<<

I messed up my XWindows for one user, "todd".

How?

Not sure.  Maybe by overwriting the /home/todd dir (Fedora) with that from my RH 9.

<<<
Describe the components....  What do you see on the screen.

Rectangles that have remanents of a window, but the three of them are much smaller and near transparent.  They seem like dialogs that are missing text.

<<<
switchdesk gnome
or
switchdesk kde

Which ever you prefer.

Then try to start an X session as todd.

Set runlevel to 3 and todd cannot create X; joe can.  Appears that XWindows has a permission problem with /tmp.

Todd