[NBLUG/talk] How do I set apt for Debian unstable?

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Sun Mar 21 21:04:01 PST 2004

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 08:56:46PM -0800, Paul Stagnoli wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I installed Knoppix 3.3 on my IBM A30p using the KNX-HDINSTALL script. The
> installation worked great. I modified /etc/apt/sources.list to use the
> "unstable" repository at Oregon State (orst.edu). Then, I spent an hour
> downloading/installing all the package updates...
>
> My question is where do I go to get the security updates for "unstable"?
> Does such a thing exist or do I need to keep running apt-get upgrade to
> pick-up the latest packages which are hopefully the most secure?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated...
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,

Unlike in stable, Debian unstable doesn't have a special repository for
security updates.  Any security updates go directly into the regular
unstable repositories.  Just run apt-get update && apt-get upgrade from
time to time to update your distribution and you will have all of the
security updates.

You can also subscribe to the debian-security-announce mailing list if you
wish to keep up-to-date on what security updates have been made:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President