[NBLUG/talk] Spam issues

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Wed May 19 09:48:00 PDT 2004

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 09:23:17AM -0700, Steve Johnson wrote:
} On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 09:05:39AM -0700, Eric Eisenhart wrote:
} > http://crm114.sourceforge.net/ ?
} > http://www.nuclearelephant.com/projects/dspam/ ?
} > procmail?
}
} I'm not sure if I understand your post Eric, are you suggesting just using
} procmail?
}
} That would be fine and dandy if I wanted to spend my day writing
} rule sets, but to be honest, I don't have the drive or the time for that.

I found the best approach is it use many spam fighting tools:

1) My mailserver uses a number of blacklists:
        xbl.spamhaus.org
        list.dsbl.org
        dnsbl.njabl.org
        cn-kr.blackholes.us
        brazil.blackholes.us
        argentina.blackholes.us
        taiwan.blackholes.us
        nigeria.blackholes.us

2) My mailserver also has it's own blacklist I've built up, currently
about 500 domains/users.

3) Many spammers configure their mailserver to ID itself with either:
my IP address, my domain name, or my user name.  Use either your
mailserver configuration or procmail to bounce/delete these and it will
cut spam significantly.

4) use a filter like crm114 or spamassassin (called from procmail)

5) a few custom procmail rules to get rid of foreign character sets.  On
sonic's server where I don't run the mailserver I have more procmail
rules then on my own server where I do as much as possible with postfix.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com