[NBLUG/talk] ADMTEK Driver, Part II: I'm an OS guinea pig

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Thu May 27 10:15:35 PDT 2004

I have a bit more information:

After doing a little research on modules, I decided to try:

rmmod amd8211

Unfortunately, that produced a segmentation fault, forcing me to
reboot.  Luckily, I was able to get back in, without a kernel panic
(phew!).

Also, I took another look at Michaal Wu's (the driver's maintainer)
response to my email and see that perhaps I had been warned.  He said:

"Well, the driver doesn't work for wep, adhoc, or revision 0x20 cards
(adm8211b). SMC 2635W cards are the most common adm8211b cards. If you have
any of the above, you should try the binary driver (for now), otherwise, it
should work."

The reference to the 'binary driver' is, I believe to the driver
offered by admtek for the 2.4 kernel.  Without further information,
I'm a little wary of trying that.

The box my desktop's wireless card (a Belkin F5D6001) came in
indicates it is 'ver. 2102', perhaps that's what he meant by 'revision
0x20'?  Also, the card had originally (pre-FC2 upgrade) been
configured to run in Ad-Hoc mode.  After installing the driver, I made
attempts to switch to managed mode, among other tweaks, to no avail.
I am very easily confused by networking, so I stopped tweaking after I
started getting kernel panics.

I am going to write to Mr. Wu again with my kernel panic info and see
if he can offer any clues.  In the meantime, I don't know how to get
this module out of my computer!

Thanks again for any help.

-dave.

--