[NBLUG/talk] Laptop Distro

David shadoweyez at hotpop.com
Wed Nov 17 17:29:24 PST 2004

I have a dell 9100 laptop and have the broadcom wireless chipset and
broadcom wired chipset.

I have a dual boot on it, with WinXP and Gentoo Linux 2004.3.
Gentoo is not easy to setup, and I did compile the kernel (2.6.9), but the
hardware works.

I've gotten the wired chipset to work, the sound to work (I used open sound
system, not advanced linux sound archiecture), the mouse pads to work, and
the wireless chip set to work (with a package called ndiswrapper, as linux
has no native wireless support for this chipset which dell calls the
wireless 1400)

You can probably get all the hardware to work with almost any distro, but
almost all of them will require tweaking, mostly because of the wireless
chipset, and possibly because of the sound.

Hope this helps
ShadowEyez