[NBLUG/talk] Another hard disk bites the dust!!!

A.C. ac at sonic.net
Thu Oct 7 13:42:47 PDT 2004

Greetings,

I worked for SyQuest before they went out of business, and I can
honestly say that I've spoken to many, many people in the same situation
as you.  I lost count of people who had gone through three drives in a
row, and were replacing their fourth.  Admittedly, this was downright
common with the SyQuest SparQ drives (which had an 18% failure rate
within 3 months), but there were many people with the more reliable
SyJet drives in the same scenario.

every vendor, and while there are some vendors I trust more than others,
not a single one is immune to failure.  As with most products, hard
drive manufacturers gear their drives to be as reliable as possible with
the cheapest parts available.  They take into account the risk of
failure and factor the potential replacement cost into their
manufacturing costs.
What that really means is that they are accepting the fact that some
drives will fail and trading that off for a product with a lower sticker
price.  Most major vendors also offer more expensive drive models with
longer warranty periods, but the price is usually much higher.  In most
cases, it's cheaper to buy the standard drive and invest in a decent
backup system.

OK, getting into the opinion section here:  The vendors that tend to
fail the least often are Maxtor, Seagate, and Western Digital, and the
vendors that tend to have higher failure rates are IBM Deskstar, Samsung
(or anything with Samsung drive heads), and any drive manufactured by
someone you've never heard of.  As with anything else, some people have
had terrible luck with one line and great luck with another (hatred
between Maxtor and Seagate runs deep in some places), but overall the
big three are about equal.

Some quick suggestions for your next drive:  The biggest thing that
kills drives nowadays is droppage (other than pre-existing contaminants
inside of the drive, which you can't do anything about).  Heat can cause
problems, but a failing drive itself can cause excessive heat, so it
goes both ways.  The best tool I have ever found for maintaining a drive
is a program written in assembly language named SpinRite (available for
purchase at http://www.grc.com or your local torrent site if you're into
that kind of thing).  SpinRite can tell you the internal temperature of
your drive, so if you're thinking heat is the culprit, this can help you
narrow it down.  SpinRite can also recover drives that have suffered
extensive damage and mark previously bad sectors as good if they prove
to be OK.

At any rate, best of luck, and feel free to post again if you're looking
for details,

A.C.
******