[NBLUG/talk] Experience with Artec DVD+/-RW drive?

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Sat Oct 23 10:45:31 PDT 2004

On 22 Oct 2004 at 22:23, Cal Herrmann wrote:

> Thanks to you both.  I have started now to look around, I suppose you mean
> Liteon SOHW-832S,

Yes, that's the model I just got for a new machine. It works great.

one PriceGrabber review says the single-layer model 812S
> can be flash-upgraded to double-layer, Liteon's site has flash upgrades for
> windows, with severe warning!

I have that model in my home computer, I have heard the flash upgrade
improves performance as well as adding dual-layer support.

 Another rev says NEC  2500A better;

Due to my experiences with NEC and their products, I would never buy
NEC if there was an alternative. Also their drives have typically had
very poor CD audio extraction.

> Any chance of an
> NBLUG meeting on the DV issues for Linux?

That'd be great, I have too little experience :(

Cheerful regards,

Bob