[NBLUG/talk] Looking for software...

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Wed Oct 27 16:37:39 PDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 02:52:59PM -0700, Christopher Wagner wrote:
> As far as the spam thing, I'm not sure you quite understand what I'm
> going for.  I'm trying to make sure that the messages that are actually
> sent to the customer don't look like spam (so content filtering systems
> like SA don't flag them as spam).

If you're running a recent version of mailman, you can do this:

In mm_cfg.py (/etc/mailman/, /var/mailman/, /var/lib/mailman,
/usr/lib/mailman; wherever it lives) put some lines like these:

GLOBAL_PIPELINE.insert(1, 'SpamAssassin')
SPAMASSASSIN_DISCARD_SCORE = 500
SPAMASSASSIN_HOLD_SCORE = 1
SPAMASSASSIN_MEMBER_BONUS = 0

That way, mailman won't discard anything outright unless it's seriously
major spamitude (I've never seen a score of 500; ever), but will hold on to
anything with an even moderate spam score and won't give any special
spam-preferences to members of the list.  (hold onto means "hold for
moderation so that an admin has to approve it").

I would still set up the list so that all messages require moderation, but
this way anything with a spam score will show up in mailman as having a spam
score.

These are copied from the settings NBLUG uses for mailman, but with the
numbers changed significantly.  The SpamAssassin options are available in
Debian/sarge's default mailman install. I believe all your mailman install
needs is $MAILMAN/Mailman/Handlers/SpamAssassin.py -- that file shows the
available options.  (though, the only other option only applies if you have
spamd on a separate server from your mailman server)
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Director-At-Large