[NBLUG/talk] KDE problem

Robert Hayes rhayes at silcom.com
Fri Oct 29 15:18:40 PDT 2004

Something happened after my last apt-get upgrade about a week ago (at least I
think it's related to the upgrade).

I'm running Debian 3.0, and Enlightenment.

When I start any KDE app (konqueror, kmail) the CPU runs up to 100% and the
app takes 5 to 15 seconds to launch. This happens regardless of the window
manager used.

If I launch KDE, it takes an age to launch the desktop, then each app takes
forever.

Here's the odd part: It only happens for my user account. Root and one other
account still work properly.

I've run strace, but don't understand what I'm seeing. All I know is that if I
run 'strace kdeinit' it takes much longer under my user account than any
other.

Any ideas?

Thanks!