[NBLUG/talk] Vanishing nodes in /dev

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 24 19:54:41 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 14:18, Mark Street wrote:
> On Friday 24 September 2004 12:44, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 12:09, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> > > Every time I restart my computer (running Debian/testing), I find that
> > > all of my "loop" device nodes disappear!  What could cause such a thing?
> >
> > I'm still not sure what's going on, but as soon as I manually loaded the
> > "loop" module (which I thought I had set to automatically load, but I
> > apparently I had not), the "loop" device nodes re-appeared.
>
> Wierd, is this a stock kernel... 2.4.26-1?  Are you using an initrd image?
> How did you set the loop module to automatically load and why????

No, it's a custom 2.6.7 kernel that I built myself.  There is no initrd
image; I got the loop module to automatically load by adding it to
/etc/modules.

> The reason I ask.  I have a stock Deb 3.1 testing system (vmware) that has all
> 8 loop devices in /dev/.  No problem.  I mounted the initrd image on a loop
> device to see what was inside..... kind of informative.

When I built this custom kernel, I disabled the initrd, since I could
fit all the necessary modules to get as far as init into the kernel,
then I used /etc/modules to automatically load the other modules I need
to use the computer.  So far, it's worked fine.

It just seems that I forgot to add "loop" to /etc/modules when I set it
up, and that the "automatic kernel module loading" wasn't able to load
it on demand.

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

I appoint you ambassador to Fantasy Island!!!