[NBLUG/talk] Roundtable discussion on FreeBSD

David shadoweyez at hotpop.com
Sat Dec 17 11:57:50 PST 2005

The 3 main ones are:
FreeBSD - awesome networking capabilities, very stable
OpenBSD - very secure
NetBSD - very portable, runs on everything (even a toaster)

He was probably talking about DragonflyBSD as the forth one, which was
branched off of FreeBSD a few years ago.  This is an experimental OS in
that people try out new ways of doing OS level things (kernel
scheduling, file systems, processes load balancing to name a few) the
best of which some times are "integrated" or implemented into the "main"
3 BSD's.

PC-BSD is a BSD focusing on ease of use, while PicoBSD is a custom-small
image (fits on a floppy) version of FreeBSD 3.0 used for network routing.

And yes, some people consider the kernel of Mac OS X, Darwin (which is
based on FreeBSD and Mach 3.0) to be a BSD variant.