[NBLUG/talk] SpaceShuttle AV on Linux?

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 18 20:23:14 PST 2005

Anyone know if the CAVS SpaceShuttle AV can be used under Linux?  I
acquired one a few months ago, and might be able to put it to good use if I
could use it on one of my Linux boxes.

The Linux box recognizes the SpaceShuttle AV as a generic USB HID device, and
shows the full name of the device in the kernel messages.  It appears to use
v1.10 of the USB HID specification, although it is not recognized as a
keyboard or mouse (not surprising).

Therefore, I suspect that something along the lines of the HotKeys package
could be used to make it work the way I'd like it to.  However, there seems
to be nothing on the web (according to Google) that discusses how to set up
this particular device under Linux.  So I tried using xev to discover what
signals it was producing with each keypress.  I only found that the leftmost
button seemed to emulate a right-click (and, yes, it conjures a right-click
pop-up menu if the mouse hovers over an application window that supports it),
and the outer wheel produces the following signals:

(When I turn it to the left...)
ButtonRelease event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x4000001,
    root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 8751353, (83,37), root:(1178,69),
    state 0x1010, button 5, same_screen YES

(When I turn it to the right...)
ButtonPress event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x4000001,
    root 0x48, subw 0x0, time 8760224, (83,37), root:(1178,69),
    state 0x10, button 4, same_screen YES

None of the other controls on the SpaceShuttle AV produced any signals that
xev could capture.  Is there any other way I can figure out what I need to do
to make this thing work under Linux?

(In case you're wondering: I know it works because I've been able to use it
without any problems on my iBook, which is running MacOS X 10.4.  But I don't
want to use it on my iBook.)

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart that looks at her watch.
		-- James Beard

/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email
 X     No Word docs in email