[NBLUG/talk] Debian--Mixer device not found

A'fish'ionado afishionado at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 11:30:55 PST 2005

Hello,

I'm fiddling with my laptop (a Dell Inspiron 1000--the same one I demoed
Ubuntu on the other week). There's no functioning sound mixer device under
Debian. The sound card does work; I can pull up a game and the sound for it
does play, but since there's no mixer device, only one application at a time
can play sound, and I have no volume control. Help me before I go deaf. :-)

I could have sworn that the mixer was working fine at one point, so,
chalking the problem up to something I did while tinkering, I reinstalled
Debian. This cleared the cruft out of my home directory :-) but did not fix
the problem at all. Note to self: This is Linux not Windows--rebooting or
reinstalling does not fix everything. :-P

The mixer device, tantalizingly, works fine under Ubuntu. Both are running
2.6 series kernels. I compared the outputs of lsmod, and tried modprobing
the various modules loaded under Ubuntu, but not Debian. Ubuntu loads a
module named snd-mixer-oss that Debian doesn't, but loading the module
manually under Debian doesn't seem to help. I also noticed that the file
/etc/modules.d/alsa-conf exists under Ubuntu, but not Debian; copying the
file over to Debian and rebooting didn't fix the problem, either, so I
removed it.

I know it's something simple--what is it? What do I need to try next?

Aaaaaa...

William