[NBLUG/talk] Compiling and installing a Debian Kernel

S. Saunders sms at sonic.net
Tue Feb 1 07:34:56 PST 2005

On Mon, January 31, 2005 11:20 am, Daniel Kinon said:

> After that it just started printing out a bunch of
> the same error message:
> modeprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/3.6.8/modules.dep : no such
> file or directory
> then I got a kernel panic and that is where my story ends.
>
> I checked to make sure that the file existed and it does... and I know
> that my / is being read because I didn't create a different partition for
> /boot so if the initrd.img is being read (which it most definitely is) it
> should beable to read that file is says it can't find.
> I tried looking online for help but haven't found any.  Infact all the
> help I have found says that all the steps I have done are correct.  Any
> ideas as to what I have done wrong?
> thanks.

Well, as nobody else has had a crack at this one, I'll give it a try,
though I confess that I'd never before heard of "bootsplash".  But,
Google is good.  ;-)

"no such file or directory" is pretty specific; SOMETHING is goofy with
the pathname/filename.  Have you checked to make sure that there's
neither a mount nor a symlink anywhere along there?
   /lib
   /lib/modules
   /lib/modules/3.6.8
Off the top of my head, mount/symlink issues seem like the most-likely
to cause what you're seeing -- the kernel hasn't yet mounted the fs that
the file is on, and so the file *doesn't* exist.

Another possibility is of a simple typo; maybe you've got ".../3.6.6/..."
or some such?  I'm sure there are other possible solutions, but I confess
none spring to mind at the moment...

- Steve S.