[NBLUG/talk] Debian Rescue Floppy

Mark Street mark at oswizards.com
Tue Feb 1 13:00:16 PST 2005

Your problems seems to be with lilo the boot loader.  The target refers to
where you want to install the boot loader, Master Boot Record, partition
superblock, floppy disk, etc..hda, hda3, fd0, etc.

I am assuming you are getting a boot prompt with the rescue floppy.  At the
boot prompt you may be able to pass a parameter boot=/dev/hda1 or whatever
your boot/root partition is and see if it goes.

Google lilo as that seems to be your problem.

This sounds like a job for Knoppix to me.

On Tuesday 01 February 2005 12:49, Mr. Jan Hearthstone wrote:
> In past I inquired about how to use the "Debian Rescue
> Floppy"; I got a few pieces of advice, but nothing
> worked.
> I am again at a point where I have to decide between a
> re-install (and losing files), or getting into the hda
> and fixing "lilo" that did not get
> "dpkg-reconfigure"-d during my kernel re-install.
> I googled high and low, but nowhere it says anything
> properly how to use the "Debian Rescue Floppy".
> The floppy itself says that my old files are on a
> "target", but I can never (well, once I've seen it
> there, but only once) find any "target", but "target0"
> that apparently has nothing to do with my "hda".
> Please, tell me how is one supposed to use the "Debian
> Rescue Floppy" to fix anything on the "hda"!
> Thanks, Hearthstone.
>
> =====
> If we,the people, were sincere about wanting Peace, then we would spend
> more on active creation of Peace than what we spend on the
> military.Legalize the Right to Sleep!
> http://www.modelearth.org/sleepright.htmlhttp://www.MODELEARTH.org

Mark Street, RHCE
http://www.oswizards.com