[NBLUG/talk] Oh, goodness, what have I done?

Robert Hayes rhayes at silcom.com
Fri Feb 11 13:18:58 PST 2005

OK. Upon more investigation, I found reference to the losetup command.

I ran
# losetup /dev/loop0 /dev/hdd

and then ran e2fsck on /dev/loop0

The result was:

/dev/loop0: ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

     487 inodes used (0%)
     144 non-contiguous inodes (29.6%)
         # of inodes with ind/dind/tind blocks: 12895/12857/12701
   41187 blocks used (1%)
       0 bad blocks
       0 large files

     279 regular files
      70 directories
       0 character device files
       2 block device files
       0 fifos
     -69 links
     127 symbolic links (127 fast symbolic links)
       0 sockets
--------
       1 file

And now I can mount /dev/loop0 and see lots of directories and files inside
lost+found on that partition. The files and directories all have names like
#123456, but that's OK.

However when I try to mount /dev/hdd1 or run e2fsck on hdd1 it still comes
back faulty. Isn't /dev/loop0 just a link or image version of /dev/hdd1?

How can a transfer that corrected information to /dev/hdd1?

Thanks!

Bob