[NBLUG/talk] System Message

S. Saunders sms at sonic.net
Tue Feb 15 17:13:51 PST 2005

On Tue, February 15, 2005 4:02 pm, Lincoln Peters said:
> On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 15:58 -0800, Walter Hansen wrote:
> > I thought there was a way to send a system message to all users, but
> > I can't seem to find it now that I have a use for it. I can do it with
> > a shutdown -k now "message", but it really implies that the system is
> > going to go down. I'd rather just broadcast my "message". Yes, I've
> > tried google till I'm blue in the face.
>
> Use the "wall" command.  Either enter your message at standard input
> (you can also pipe the results of another program into wall) or direct
> the program to read the message from a text file.
>
> Try "man wall" for more information.

Wall!  Of Course!  It's =obvious=!

Pay no attention to those fuddy-duddy
technowimps who claim that *nix is
unnecessarily obscure -- what could be
clearer than "wall"?

- Steve S.

  p.s. - IIRC, that's from "w"rite "all" users... I was gonna give the
  answer myself, but I saw a reply & figured someone had.  Nonetheless,
  the sarcasm stands -- I've always found "wall" to be archetypally
  obscure, in true *nix fashion.  Not that there aren't *other* things
  to gripe about... and not that *nix isn't a great OS-family.  But if
  we can't affectionately tweak a techno-nose, what have we come to?

  For those who haven't seen (m)any of these, I suggest:
  http://www.zorg.org/unixhumour/