[NBLUG/talk] BIOS -failed update - help

Justin Thiessen thiessen at sonic.net
Thu Jan 6 16:52:32 PST 2005

On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 07:50:24AM -0800, Glen Gunsalus wrote:
> Sorry if this is considered off topic, but my linux box is out of
> commission and I'm clutching for resources just now.
>
> The short story is that I have no or a partial or a corrupt BIOOS so my
> main linux box is dead.  I have the original BIOS on floppy (saved by
> flash update program).  My BIOS is on a 40-pin EEPROM (socketed).  Is it
> possible to write the chip using an eeprom writer and the
> original_bios.bin?    If so, does anyone on the list have access to such
> a resource and willing to give me a hand?

This might indeed be be possible, but first, let's see if there's an easier
way.  It's possible with some motherboards to go through a bios flash sequence
even if the BIOS is fubarred.  Unfortunately it requires doing things like
interpreting boot-time beep codes and the like, but it's better than tossing
your motherboard!

So...what brand and model motherboard do you have?

Justin