[NBLUG/talk] Stumped

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Jan 31 10:59:15 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 10:53:50AM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> If it's not there, you'll want to check Debian Alternatives, or simply
> make a symbolic link yourself.  As root,

Oh, and FYI:

  http://alternatives.sourceforge.net/

Quoting:

  "It is possible for several programs fulfilling the same or similar
  functions to be installed on a single system at the same time. For
  example, many systems have several text editors installed at
  once. This gives choice to the users of a system, allowing each to use
  a different editor, if desired, but makes it difficult for a program
  to make a good choice of editor to invoke if the user has not
  specified a particular preference."

Looking at "/etc/alternatives/cc" on my Debian server here at work, it's
a symbolic link to "gcc" in /usr/bin:

  lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 12 May  7 2004 /etc/alternatives/cc -> /usr/bin/gcc

And actually, it looks like /outside/ the Alternatives system is where the
GCC symbolic linking is going on.  My copy of "/usr/bin/gcc" is simply
a symbolic link itself:

  lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root  8 May  7 2004 /usr/bin/gcc -> gcc-2.95

And it looks like I have a choice between 2.95 and 3.0:

  $ ls gcc-*
  -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        74088 Sep 23  2002 /usr/bin/gcc-2.95
  -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        74056 Apr  7  2002 /usr/bin/gcc-3.0

:)

-bill!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com          April shower bring Kompressor power!
http://newbreedsoftware.com/