[NBLUG/talk] localhost: connection refused

S. Saunders sms at sonic.net
Mon Jul 11 11:55:26 PDT 2005

On Mon, July 11, 2005 11:22, Christopher Wagner said:

> > But "route add -net 127.0.0.0" (as the man page suggests)
> > produces an error.
>
> Yes, but what's the error?

Yes indeed!  " 'X' produces an error" is among the least-useful
trouble-reports for troubleshooting a problem.  It *does* eliminate
the possibility that it has just silently *worked* (I've troubleshot
"working" issues that were merely "silent upon correct operation").

What exactly is the error?

Try cut&paste'ing the following command:
  netstat -l | egrep "localhost|127.0.0.|:http|:80"

That should send a list of all "Listening" ports to the grep, which
should in turn print out anything that has either localhost doing
the listening, or a webserver-service.  I s'pose you may have some
different version of netstat or grep, but those are pretty standard
AFAIK; the above was tested on bolt.sonic.net & seems to work, though
I haven't rigorously forced truncation/etc -- higher portnumbers
beginning "80..." also show up, for example.

- Steve S.