[NBLUG/talk] Quiet SFF reccommendations/opinions?

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 20 08:43:39 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 08:11 -0700, thiessen at sonic.net wrote:
> NBLUG members have used, especially with respect to noise levels.

Since your new computer will have to run Photoshop (and the GIMP isn't
yet at Photoshop's level), I'd have to agree that Linux probably won't
work for you.  However, a Macintosh computer probably would, since it
runs Photoshop, it is (almost) as stable as Linux, and it is practically
invulnerable to malware (just like Linux).  And if you compare the specs
for a Macintosh to those for a similarly-priced PC, you'll probably find
that, contrary to popular belief, the Macintosh *is* a better deal.

A lot of the newer Macintoshes are also pretty darn quiet, so they'd fit
your requirements in that regard as well.  Furthermore, if you have X11
installed on a Macintosh, you can run a fair number of Linux
applications under MacOS X.  I've also been able to run Ubuntu Linux on
recent Macintoshes with no difficulty, should you at some future date
want to go that route.

Judging by your requirements, you'd probably be most interested in a G4
or G5 tower, since you could use your existing monitor and DVD burner on
it (although you may need some kind of adapter to use the DVD burner).
An iMac might also work, but you probably wouldn't be able to use the
existing monitor, and you wouldn't have the same upgradeability.

(Disclaimer: I primarily use Linux on Intel/AMD systems, but when I use
a computer in a computer lab, I go for a Macintosh whenever possible.  I
don't actually own a current Macintosh desktop computer, so I'm basing
my claim about their noise levels on what I've observed at SRJC's
computer labs.  I'm basing my claims about their stability and immunity
to malware on my own experience with my iBook.)

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

"I don't mind going nowhere as long as it's an interesting path."
		-- Ronald Mabbitt