[NBLUG/talk] Quiet SFF reccommendations/opinions?

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Wed Jul 20 08:51:00 PDT 2005

> NBLUG members have used, especially with respect to noise levels.

(For those who don't know SFF stands for Small Form Factor)

Generally speaking, for the same airflow, small fans are noisier.

I have bought a few Dells in the last year, and they all have
thermostatically controlled fans and unified cooling. So if you can deal
with a full size case, they tend to be quiet(except when you compile a
kernel, then the fan picks up). Thay also came with Seagate hard disks,
which are also quiet and cool running. Of couse they are an Intel-only
shop(no AMD).

<sarcasm>
And you can't beat the reliability and tech support quality of Dell.
</sarcasm>

gotapex.com tracks the Dell special prices. Sometimes the deals are
unbeatable.

Cheers,

Bob