[NBLUG/talk] Quiet SFF reccommendations/opinions?

thiessen at sonic.net thiessen at sonic.net
Wed Jul 20 10:28:43 PDT 2005

> On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 08:11 -0700, thiessen at sonic.net wrote:
>> NBLUG members have used, especially with respect to noise levels.
>
> Since your new computer will have to run Photoshop (and the GIMP isn't
> yet at Photoshop's level), I'd have to agree that Linux probably won't
> work for you.  However, a Macintosh computer probably would, since it
> runs Photoshop, it is (almost) as stable as Linux, and it is practically
> invulnerable to malware (just like Linux).  And if you compare the specs
> for a Macintosh to those for a similarly-priced PC, you'll probably find
> that, contrary to popular belief, the Macintosh *is* a better deal.

I have a number of fairly hardcore Linux/Unix friends and co-workers who
have picked up Macs (mostly powerbooks) since OS X came out.  They all
seem very happy with their purchases.  Unfortunately, even with Apple's
more aggressive current pricing scheme, the cost of switching over (and
purchasing a Mac version of photoshop) way exceeds the ~$800 I have
planned for the upgrade.  I'm not completely inflexible on this, but I
have a hard
time justifying the expense.  In short:  It's the right solution, but the
wrong price point.

I've already specced out parts and determined that I could build a
standard x86 tower system of acceptable performance and quality for
somewhere in this
price range.  I'd prefer to build something with similar specs that is
smaller and very quiet.  SFF systems have a nice form factor, but reviews
seem mixed about the noise levels associated.  If any NBLUG members have
relevant experiences, I'd like to hear about them.  Otherwise I'm back to
just trying to build/buy the quietest tower system I can in the price
range.

But I do appreciate the suggestion of an alternative.  I'm still open to
completely changing what I'm looking at, as long as the arguments in favor
are sufficiently compelling.

Thanks,

Justin