[NBLUG/talk] Linux for an AOL addict?

Christopher Wagner chrisw at pacaids.com
Wed Jul 20 11:42:33 PDT 2005

I would tend to agree, a user with this mind-set will find everything
they can find that isn't what they're familiar with and expound on every
single one of them and will end up going back to Windoze with a bitter
attitude toward Linux.  I dealt with this when simply trying to get our
employees away from IE/Outlook and over to Firefox/Thunderbird.  We are
still running Firefox/Thunderbird as a company standard, but I've got a
couple of bitter users out of the deal.  Of course, these users can't
put their fingers on anything that's actually affecting their
productivity, but that doesn't stop any childish sniping or
backstabbing.  Fortunately switching to Firefox/Thunderbird has
significantly reduced the proliferation of malware on our network
(negligible at this point).

The type of user who is appropriate to migrate is someone who isn't
stuck on seeing the same "pretty" AOL logo on their desktop and hearing
"You've Got Spam!" everytime they log in.  A good prospect for migration
is someone who is OK with things looking a bit different and maybe
having some slightly different steps required to get a task done, ie:
someone looking for true functionality and stability rather than what
"everyone else" is using.  Indeed, most people will be understandably
apprehensive at a switch, but some people react badly to change.

Maybe with this person, the first step should be removing the perceived
dependence on AOL.  If you can get them to make that step, the rest may
come more easily.  I'd recommend enticing the user with the prospect of
it taking less time to connect to the Internet (using a simple dial-up
connectoid as opposed to needing to load Bloatware On-Line).

As an alternative to using another dial-up account, perhaps suggest to
them that they would save time and money switching to a decent broadband
provider.  I won't start an argument about which provider to pick, but I
do know that there's several ~$20-25/month options for basic DSL service
(I strongly suggest against using a provider which uses PPPoE).  This
would give your user considerably faster service for around the same
price that AOL charges for a standard dial-up account.

In summary, I would offer them alternative solutions for internet access
with a cost/benefit analysis.  If they still feel that they cannot live
without AOL, then it's not worth the fight and let them live in sin. :)

- Chris