[NBLUG/talk] Quiet SFF reccommendations/opinions?

thiessen at sonic.net thiessen at sonic.net
Thu Jul 21 11:55:14 PDT 2005

> On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 10:28:43AM -0700, thiessen at sonic.net wrote:

<snip>

>> relevant experiences, I'd like to hear about them.  Otherwise I'm back
>> just trying to build/buy the quietest tower system I can in the price
>> range.
>
> If that's what you end up doing, I have two suggestions:
> 1) Use low rpm, large diameter fans.  I like 120mm's

No kidding.  I think I'm still half-deaf after having to test 13KRPM 40mm
server crossbar fans at work.

> 2) spend the extra cash for a nice case. I've generally bought cheap
>    cases in the past, but having splurged on a nice Antec case, I'll

<snip>

> So, instead of $35 for a case, spend $80.  Your ears will appreciate it.

Having bought both types of cases, I completely agree.  My own system is
in a Chenbro SR-104

http://www.coolcases.com/cases/sr104_s_p1.html

> Newegg.com has surprisingly inexpensive shipping options on cases, BTW.

And they're very reasonable about returns.  I returned a "cheap" case
I bought on the basis of a bunch of positive reviews because, essentially,
the reviews were wrong, and the case stunk.  The return was very
straightforward and without hassle.

It comes down to determing how small a system I can build that is
acceptably quiet w/o giving up requisite performance and expandability or
going way over budget.  I like the SFF form factor, but if I can't get the
quietness level I want, I'll drop the idea.  I know my wife doesn't want a
system in a n enormouse case like mine, and I can't really blame her.

> Depending on your CPU choice, you may have good luck with one of those
> "butterfly" heat sinks (lots of very thin fins giving oodles of surface
> area for heat dissipation), and again, a large diameter, low rpm cpu
> fan.  I've found that one 120mm fan and the cpu fan/sink are all I need
> to keep this Althon 64 3200+ cool even under heavy fragging^w kernel
> compilations.

You've actually got a 120mm fan on your A64???  Pretty soon we'll see
cases where one side case panel is just a bracket for a 800mm CPU fan...

Justin