[NBLUG/talk] Linux for an AOL addict?

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 27 22:14:53 PDT 2005

(I would have responded to this e-mail sooner, but I just got back from
South County, Rhode Island yesterday, and it was insanely difficult to
get a decent Internet connection out there.)

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 08:45 -0700, Christopher Wagner wrote:
> Give her the option of one or the other.  Don't promise her great things
> from it, but suggest that she has an opportunity to extend the life of
> her current computer with no commitment (most people hate having to
> spend money to replace something that should still be functioning
> well).  She may ask if you really believe it's a viable option, state
> that you work at home exclusively (or almost, I dunno exactly what your
> OS situation is) in Linux and truly enjoy working with it, but that the
> decision is truly hers.  Above all, don't try to persuade or convince
> her.  If she shows some interest, offer to show her a laptop or another
> computer with Linux running on it, or perhaps just take a Live CD over
> to her computer and demonstrate how her computer runs with Linux, point
> out that if not booting from CD, it starts up quicker.  Demonstrate some
> basic tasks, word processing, web, etc..  Above all, don't try to
> persuade her, simply provide it as an option.

This sounds almost exactly like my original plan (I had come here
because AOL was the only thing she uses that I can't provide on Linux).
However, your advice about not trying to persuade sounds really good to
me, and I'll be sure to keep it in mind.

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

	"Do you believe in intuition?"
	"No, but I have a strange feeling that someday I will."