[NBLUG/talk] Cannot bind to a port

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Thu Jul 28 18:28:21 PDT 2005

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Todd Cary wrote:

> Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:23:54 -0700
> From: Todd Cary <todd at aristesoftware.com>
> To: "General NBLUG chatter about anything Linux, answers to questions,
>     etc." <talk at nblug.org>
> Subject: Re: [NBLUG/talk] Cannot bind to a port
>
> OK...it can start if port 80 or port 8080 is specified, however 8081 or
> 8090 will not work.
>
> Port 80 is used by my HTTP server running on another box and port 8080
> is used by the router.

hi Todd,

go ahead an use port 80 then on this box.  (it won't interfere with port
80 on another box on your network).

someone else asked if you were starting it up as root and i don't remember
you answering.   and also the error messages you get still look as if it's
trying to bind to an ipV6 address.  you could try saying instead of
listen *:81
change to
listen 123.456.12.34:81
with your machine's actual ip address in the listen line.  (like the
commented out example just above the *:81.

-ron