[NBLUG/talk] Sendmail

Scott Doty scott at sonic.net
Tue Jun 21 14:38:42 PDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 03:32:14PM -0600, Mark Greeott wrote:
> Here's the contents of /etc/hosts and /etc/sysconfig/network
>
> [mgreeott at sonic-1u mgreeott]$ cat /etc/hosts
> 10.10.10.10             sonic-1u.sonic.net sonic-1u
> 127.0.0.1               localhost
>
> [mgreeott at sonic-1u sysconfig]$ cat network
> HOSTNAME=sonic-1u.sonic.net
> NETWORKING=yes
> GATEWAY=64.142.113.1
> GATEWAYDEV=eth0
>
> I've been contemplating changing the hostname for some time but haven't
> for fear of breaking something (like not really understanding what the
> 10.10.10.10 is all about) :-)

I would suspect that changing the host name in /etc/hosts and
/etc/sysconfig/network may solve the problem.  You can also make an
immediate change by typing "hostname co.dsm.org" as root.

The "10.10.10.10" is a placeholder for your machine's IP address.
(Network 10.x is used for private networks.)  You can use /sbin/ifconfig to
determine your interface's IP address.

 -Scott