[NBLUG/talk] Which distro is best for a newbie?

Dean A. Roman droman at romansys.com
Thu Jun 23 11:23:57 PDT 2005

  I've seen this problem quite a bit...the most difficult item is your X
  windows and desktop setup.  This never seems to transfer between two
  different sytems cleanly when you boot between the two.  Debian uses a
  different setup than RedHat and so does Suse.  This is probably caused
  by version differences, but that doesn't help the situation and keeping
  the two desktop X setups in sync is problematic.  If you can help it, I
  would keep the home directories seperate if your going to use X.  It can
  be done, but not for the faint of heart.
  The easiest way I've found, if you want to transfer files, etc. between
  the dual boot systems is to just create a seperate data partition and
  mount it in both systems.
  Dual booting is easy..just load Debian on a different partition, then
  tell grub about the other install by adding a line to the grub.conf
  file.  One thing to remember is that you can use the same swap partion
  for both systems as you'll never have both systems running at the same
  time...this saves a little disk space if that's an issue.  Also, try to
  keep the /boot partitions set as the first primary partitions taking up
  no more than about 200MB(some hardware may have issues finding it on
  boot otherwise).
  Hope that helped...

Thanks,
   ---Dean.