[NBLUG/talk] NTP troubles

Dean A. Roman droman at romansys.com
Tue Mar 15 20:06:02 PST 2005

Peter,

I don't see any mention of configs. in your e-mail.
Are both configurations of NTP on both machines identicle? (see
/etc/ntp.conf)Is the NTP server acting as the main server(disciplined) or getting the
time from an internet NTP server and broadcasting it?
It'a good idea to run no higher than testing unless your doing
development...the packages in unstable change very frequently and often
with little testing.
You can also check that the dependant libraries are identicle using the
ldd comand as show below on my Debian 3.1 "testing" machine:# ldd /usr/sbin/ntpd
        libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x40025000)
        libcrypto.so.0.9.7 => /usr/lib/i686/cmov/libcrypto.so.0.9.7
        (0x40047000)        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40146000)        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x4027a000)

I hope that helps....

Thanks,
   ---Dean.

> Peter Lutz
> Good evening, and Help...
> I run a couple of Debian Unstable boxen here which get upgraded very
> frequently.  Most mornings, I run apt-get update/upgrade to keep things
> right up to date.  This morning I ran the pair, and found that my NTP
> server no longer works.  I have 1)rebooted.  2)removed and reinstalled
> three packages: ntp, ntp-server, and ntp-simple. 3)removed --purge and
> reinstalled the three packages.  And the problem is only on the older
> box, that I use for my server.  The other unstable box has the same
> three programs and it works just fine.  Only trouble is that it is part
> time Windoz2000, so it's not a good candidate for a time server for the
> other CPU's here.
>
> There are strange symptoms.  When I run /etc/init.d/ntp-server restart,
> ntpd seems to run once or some such.  I get one entry in loopstats and
> peerstats.  I get no error messages, but ps ax | grep ntpd shows
> nothing running.  There is a /var/run/ntpd.pid file that remains, but
> that seems to be the only remnant of ntpd, other than the log entries.
>
> So the problem is only on one box.  The deb packages are identical
> between the two boxen.  I've done everything I can think of to get NTP
> to run where I want it, but no joy.

> Thank you.
> --
> Peter Lutz  AA6AV