[NBLUG/talk] Quick and Dirty KNOPPIX install to HDD

Mark Street mark at oswizards.com
Fri Mar 18 16:52:18 PST 2005

On Friday 18 March 2005 16:14, Kyle Rankin wrote:
> First of all, is there any particular reason you want to install Knoppix
> using this method instead of just booting the Knoppix CD itself and running
> "sudo knoppix-installer"? That would be the best way go to about it.

Because on the Dell Latitude D400 I do not have any peripherals - floppy or
CD, there is some sort of proprietary CD/Floppy USB connection on the side
and an additional USB in back.  So my only option was a USB mass storage
device to get into the machine to get it to boot and the USB in back to mount
the KNOPPIX CD.

I know I have to edit the boot loader either menu.lst/grub.conf or lilo.conf
and the fstab.

> That being said, you are basically on the right track, you copy the
> contents of the entire compressed filesystem onto your drive and tweak a
> few things and then set up the boot loader.

Thanks Kyle!  I will read the script.

--
Mark Street, RHCE
http://www.oswizards.com