[NBLUG/talk] Quick and Dirty KNOPPIX install to HDD

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Fri Mar 18 17:01:58 PST 2005

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 04:52:18PM -0800, Mark Street wrote:
> On Friday 18 March 2005 16:14, Kyle Rankin wrote:
> > First of all, is there any particular reason you want to install Knoppix
> > using this method instead of just booting the Knoppix CD itself and running
> > "sudo knoppix-installer"? That would be the best way go to about it.
>
> Because on the Dell Latitude D400 I do not have any peripherals - floppy or
> CD, there is some sort of proprietary CD/Floppy USB connection on the side
> and an additional USB in back.  So my only option was a USB mass storage
> device to get into the machine to get it to boot and the USB in back to mount
> the KNOPPIX CD.

[snip]

There's one other alternative at your disposal. If your laptop has an
integrated NIC and can netboot, you can boot the Knoppix CD on another
computer on your network, and click K->KNOPPIX->Services->Start Terminal
Server.

That script will set up a terminal server and basically everything you need
so that you can boot the laptop off the network from that PC. Then you can
install Knoppix the normal way.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President