[NBLUG/talk] What will happen if I move the passwd file

E Frank Ball frankb at frankb.us
Mon May 2 13:56:45 PDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 02:18:59PM -0700, Todd Cary wrote:
} I have a Fedora 3 server setup with a few custom applications: Interbase
} (Firebird) and a customer version of PHP.  What will happen to the
} ownership of the already installed files if I move a passwd file from a
} currently online computer onto the new Fedora 3 computer (shadow passwd
} file has been put into the passwd file)?  Will I be able to access the
} installed progrms, etc.?

If the uid and gid match then the file ownerships won't
change.  The uid (user ID) is the first numeric field, the
gid (group ID) is the next field.

sync:x:4:65534:sync:/bin:/bin/sync

uid=4
gid=65534

If the uid or gid for a file is not listed in /etc/passwd
(or in NIS) then the file will show the uid and/or gid in
the listing instead of the owner and/or group.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at frankb.us