[NBLUG/talk] Bluetooth?

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 28 12:30:17 PDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 09:54 -0700, Dustin Mollo wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 05:08:57PM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> > Has anyone ever tried using Bluetooth on Linux?  Any recommendations for
> > specific Bluetooth adapters?  Any comments regarding installation,
> > reliability, ease of use, etc?
>
> i've got a mix of sarge and sid (debian) on my laptop that has built-in
> builetooth (ibm thinkpad t41p).  i only use it to talk to my phone (nokia
> 6620), but that seems to work just dandy.  i don't have access to my laptop
> at the moment, so i can't tell you all the goodies i've got installed that i
> use.

Well, I have both a cell phone and a PDA, but neither supports
Bluetooth.  But I think it's a good sign if you're able to get Bluetooth
to work at all!

I'm looking at using Bluetooth on a total of 3 computers: 2 desktops and
1 laptop, neither of which has built-in support for Bluetooth (I'll
probably use a USB adapter on each).  The peripherals I'm hoping to make
wireless are:

* Two keyboards (one for each desktop)
* Three mice (one for each computer)
* Three printers (an inkjet on one desktop, two laser printers on the
other desktop, all three use parallel ports and don't support USB)
* Two pairs of analog speakers (one for each desktop)
* A scanner
* A memory card reader

Admittedly I probably won't be able to make ALL of these wireless, and
I'm probably forgetting a few right now (I can't check right now because
I can't take my eyes off this kitten for more than 15 seconds, at least
not until he falls asleep), but the fewer cables I have that he can chew
on, the better!

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

In 1914, the first crossword puzzle was printed in a newspaper.  The
creator received $4000 down ... and $3000 across.