[NBLUG/talk] Bluetooth?

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 28 18:49:35 PDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 17:09 -0700, Andrew wrote:
> Hey, check it out: CompUSSR has a USB Bluetooth adapter on sale
> for $20 (after those damn rebates, of course). Search their
> Website for 307822. They claim it's in stock in Santa Rosa. Of
> course, I trust that information about as much as I trust
> Internet Exploiter's security. Better call first to be sure. Sale
> ends tonight. I have neither this nor any other Bluetooth
> devices, so I can't speak to it's Linux compatibility. I just saw
> the deal and thought I'd pass it along.

For some reason, I seem to have had better luck with CompUSA than most
people.  I probably won't be able to make it to CompUSA in Santa Rosa by
tonight, but the last time was there, I think I saw a store-brand
Bluetooth adapter with even longer range (150', according to the
package) for $35.  It also had a built-in antenna.

Looking at their website, I think I see that same store brand Bluetooth
adapter (or one that is very similar), plus 1 $30 adapter that boasts a
similar range.  I did notice that the $35 adapter with the longer range
is listed as PC-only (i.e. supposedly doesn't support the Mac, and
doesn't say about anything else), so I'll probably have to bring in my
iBook and see if they'll let me plug it in before I buy it (I figure
that if it will work under MacOS X with no extra drivers, chances are
that it will work on Linux).

Internet Exploiter?  I hadn't heard that one before.

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Riffle West Virginia is so small that the Boy Scout had to double as the
town drunk.