[NBLUG/talk] More hard drive problems

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 2 16:42:27 PST 2005

On Saturday 29 October 2005 09:59 pm, A'fish'ionado wrote:
> Under SuSE with ReiserFS, I never see fsck run on boot. Under Debian with
> Ext3, I see fsck run every 30 boots. At first I though this was just
> because ReiserFS was a journaling file system; then I found out that Ext3
> was too, and I was puzzled. I had been ready to switch to ReiserFS with
> Debian, just to not have to wait for fsck every 30 mounts; now I'm
> beginning to think that would be exactly the wrong thing to do.
>
> Not I'm thinking that its just that one set of developers has more
> confidence in their code than the other. What I'm seeing might have even
> more to do with the different distributions than the different file
> systems.

It could have to do with one set of developers having more confidence in their
code than the other.  Whether or not that higher confidence is justified is
another matter entirely.

> Anybody want to explain whether I'm right about this? Is disabling the
> automatic fsck runs a sane thing to do, as long as I have a journaling
> filesystem? (We're not talking about a server or anything here; just my
> desktop systems.)

It's always possible that something will go wrong with your filesystem and
journaling won't prevent it (think cosmic rays and similar forces).
Therefore, it's not such a bad idea to periodically run fsck on the disk,
just in case.

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Footnotes are for things you believe don't really belong in LDP manuals,
but want to include anyway.
	-- Joel N. Weber II discussing the 'make' chapter of LPG

/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email
 X     No Word docs in email
/ \  Respect for open standards