[NBLUG/talk] Hello

Christopher Wagner chrisw at pacaids.com
Fri Nov 4 09:02:14 PST 2005

1) Yes there is an archive of previous posts:
http://nblug.org/pipermail/talk/

2) That's definitely an odd one, upgrading from Hoary to Breezy should
not have caused such a problem.  The easily solution would be to try
simply reinstalling from scratch, the more difficult but "right" way to
do it would be to try and find out what's sucking all your resources.
'top' is frequently a effective way of doing that.  Once you've got
'top' loaded (from a command line) at the top of the screen is a
detailed display of general memory and processor usage, as well as some
mildly interesting other information.  Below that is the 'top' list of
processes running on the system.  'M' (case-sensitive) will put the
process that is using the most memory at the top, and then on down from
there.  'P' will put it back to the default of sorting by processor usage.

3) DVD burners..  My experience is that most burners will work with
Linux.  Personally, I use an internal SONY DVD burner, one of the fancy
dual-layer high speed drives, and haven't encountered any problems.

Good luck Art!

- Chris