[NBLUG/talk] Re: slow open office startup

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 8 22:29:10 PST 2005

On Tuesday 08 November 2005 06:05 pm, Tim Preston wrote:
> So, can anyone explain this in OO's progamming? Is it loading stuff, or
> creating temp files? Couldn't there be a file or group of files that
> already exist that OO uses to startup? Or, is it just recreating the
> files everytime it starts that slows it down?

I've heard that the inner workings of OpenOffice are rather difficult to
understand because most of the function and variable names in the source code
are mostly in German (the original StarOffice was written by a German
company).  I've also heard complaints about how StarOffice/OpenOffice tries
to be a single application that does everything; that would seem to
contribute to its slow startup time.

I have to say, though, that every new release of OpenOffice has seemed FASTER
to me, not slower.  The codebase that they started with was really bloated
and inefficient, but it seems to be improving.

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Microsoft is not the answer.
Microsoft is the question.
NO (or Linux) is the answer.
	-- Taken from a .signature from someone from the UK, source unknown

/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email
 X     No Word docs in email
/ \  Respect for open standards