[NBLUG/talk] Direct Render Support

thiessen at sonic.net thiessen at sonic.net
Fri Nov 11 10:55:13 PST 2005

Yep, what's going on is that more than just a framebuffer representation
of the screen is being stored in that memory.  In my (admittedly limited)
understanding, with 3D enabled, the graphics card is using the memory to
do the following:

(1) Store the framebuffer representation of the screen.  At 4 bytes per
    pixel that's a fixed 4 * 1024 * 768 = 3145728  (3 megabytes) of memory.
(2) Temporarily store and process the 3-dimensional representation of
    3D objects on the screen.  This can suck up a LOT of memory.

This isn't even taking into account double-buffering, which I believe is
done in the card's memory, although I'm not sure.  (Please, anyone,
jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.)  This would double the memory
requirements for just having a framebuffer running.

Glad to hear you have 3D working, though.  And I've never been able to
see much difference between 16-bits and 24-bits on most laptop LCDs, anyways.

Congrats on joining the linux crowd!

Justin