[NBLUG/talk] ICH7R

Stephen Cilley hydro_mancer at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 11 15:18:21 PST 2005

Ok, new issue:
Last week I struggled a bit to get a liveCD to boot on
my desktop.  I did a bunch of different stuff and then
I realized that the issue was in the controller on my
board and I switched the DVD drive's ribbon cable over
to the other Re: [NBLUG/talk] Direct Render Support
PATA controller on the board and everything was fine.
But this isn't really a solution to the problem,
especially because now I want to install it instead of
just running the boot CD.
The motherboard is a P5WD2 from Asus and the
controller I'm having an issue with is called ICH7R
and it's from Intel.  I put a different hard disk (an
little 8 gig I had around... do you guys think that's
too little for Ubuntu?) in there and hooked it up to
the problematic controller and booted the DVD only to
find out at the fdisk stage of the install that the
same issue applies to hard disks.
I could swap the hard disk onto the secondary on the
working controller, but that would be a bit of a
shuffle I don't really want to make (there are
physical limitations to consider about the size of the
inside of the case and the length and felexability of
ribbon cable.)  So if I have both slots on the ITE
(working) controller taken and I want to put the hard
drive as the secondary master of the ICH7R and I want
to be able to install that way, what can I do?  Has
anyone heard about this particular controller not
working?
Also, I'd like to refrain from adding another
controller to the box, it's a jumbled mess as it is.
Thank you,
Stephen