[NBLUG/talk] Ubuntu

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Nov 24 13:12:59 PST 2005

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 07:47:04PM -0800, Aaron Grattafiori wrote:
> Look into using the aptitude(?) grapgical package manager or  just open
> a terminal with apt-get.

aptitude is a command-line tool.  It can run single commands (like apt-get),
e.g.: "aptitude install gimp", or it can run as a curses text GUI
(like dselect).

There are GUI package managers out there.  I've played with KDE's "Kpackage",
which can act as a front-end to apt-get.  It's a /little/ klunky, and I have
to admit, using the command-line (not curses, even!) seems way quicker.

  # aptitude search ~dchildren~dpaint
  p   junior-art                      - Debian Jr. Art
  c   tuxpaint                        - A paint program for young children
  i A tuxpaint-data                   - Data files for Tux Paint, a paint pro
  i   tuxpaint-stamps-default         - Stamp files for Tux Paint, a paint pr

  # aptitude install tuxpaint tuxpaint-stamps-default

:)

--
-bill!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com