[NBLUG/talk] Ubuntu

E Frank Ball frankb at frankb.us
Mon Nov 28 17:47:46 PST 2005

On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 10:24:11PM -0800, Troy Arnold wrote:
}
} Ahh, you should play around with using aptitude as a straight apt-get
} replacement:
} aptitude install foo
} aptitude update; apt-get upgrade
}
} Its dependency handling is better for one.  Say you 'aptitude install
} packageA' while pulls in packages B,C and D.  If you later 'aptitude
} remove packageA' B, C, and D are gone also.  There's also some very cool
} stuff in Sid WRT to conflict handling.  Aptitude will actually suggest
} several different ways of handling a given dependency situation.

So as per your advice I tried using aptitude instead of apt-get to
install a package, and I get this:

The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
  bzip2 docbook-xml lesstif1 libperl5.8 libscrollkeeper0 libvte-common
  libvte4 libxslt1.1 scrollkeeper sgml-data synaptic vim vim-common
  xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfonts-scalable xserver-common xserver-xfree86

What the F????

I want bzip2.  I need lesstif1 for something I compiled.
synaptic is a nice gui for browsing and installing packages.
I can't live without vim, and the xserver is running!

apt-get install worked fine and didn't remove anything.
What am I doing wrong?

   E Frank Ball                frankb at frankb.us