[NBLUG/talk] Ubuntu

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Tue Nov 29 17:13:34 PST 2005

I'm not arguing strong, I'm not a debian hater. I've found a lot that I
really like about debian. I think I did end up hitting the reset from the
package selector. I couldn't even figgure out how to get out of it, let
alone properly select what I wanted. It was probably more my issues than
debians. The next install I simply selected 'workstation' and then did
google hunts on another computer to figgure out which packages to apt-get
for what I wanted to do. Once you know what you want on it, apt-get is a
dream. I'm sure I'll like the gui install their working on as their
looking at it from a gui perspective (give you everything you need to make
an informed decision).

I'm the guy who can learn to use vi and emacs (so far I'm liking vi
better, but I've only started dabeling with emacs), but loves things like
pico where you just use it and do your stuff. If you want to look under
the hood theres shortcuts and other great stuff, but editing a text file
shouldn't requrie much prep work.

This is one of the great things about config files, and one of the bad
things also. Many of them have helpful comments and examples. That's
perfect. You don't have to go looking for the manual. You've got it in
front of you. Others "host.deny?" aren't so wonderful. What's the format?
Do I use a hostname or do I need a IP? Can I use wildcards? Are there
comment characters? If there are comment characters why didn't somebody
just put a little short list of options there commented? Instead of
blocking some attacking system in two minutes it turns into a 30 minute
quest for the right phrasing.

I'm probably just ranting. And you guys probably think I'm a GUI person or
something, but I'm actually much more at home in command windows. Often
I'll come accross something and think to myself, "boy that was easy, I
wish everything was designed as well as that". Sometimes I've spent 6
hours trying to make something work and I just want to quit. Installing
pico on Mandrake was like that. It was just easier to learn vi.

<end rant>