[NBLUG/talk] Ubuntu

E Frank Ball frankb at frankb.us
Tue Nov 29 17:24:36 PST 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 03:53:27PM -0800, Rob Orsini wrote:
} On Nov 29, 2005, at 12:17 AM, Stephen Cilley wrote:
}
} > I'd really appreciate a petting zoo after everybody
} >is done speaking; it'd be cool to be able to have
} >access to 10 different laptops afterward all with a
} >different distro.
} >Thank you,
} >Stephen
}
} Stephen, It's very hard to ask that question and not get  a "religious"
} answer. The other thing that clouds the issue is that all distros have
} so much in common. You may not get into the differences without having
} to do some system maintenance or installing on a extremely old computer
} (for example). So you could walk around a panel of laptops and see
} different Desktop/Windows managers and perhaps even software installed
} on some but not others, but I'm not sure you'd get a feel for each
} distro without exploring with it on your own for a while. So, what do

I could bring my Debian Sarge/stable laptop, but as Rob points out, it's
not going to tell you much.  I don't use gnome or kde.  I probably have
at least the minimal gnome stuff installed, but I wouldn't know how to
use it.  KDE isn't installed at all.

I tried "aptitude unmarkauto '~i'", but aptitude still wants to ravage
my system.  On two boxes it wants to remove a pile of packages and on
one it wants to add a pile of packages.  All different.  I think I'll
stick with apt-get and synaptic.

I've tried the aptitude gui before and I thought it was awful.  Worse
than deselect.  synaptic is the way to go if you want a gui.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at frankb.us