[NBLUG/talk] More hard drive problems

Lincoln Peters lmpeters at mac.com
Sun Oct 2 21:02:37 PDT 2005

On Oct 2, 2005, at 8:17 PM, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> When the surface scans finish, I'll review the man pages for
> reiserfsck and mdadm one more time, and if I don't see any obvious
> thing to try that I haven't already tried, I'll try the Knoppix CD.

OK, the surface scans finished on all three hard disks.  Just the one
I mentioned has bad blocks.  Therefore, the RAID-5 array *should* be
usable, but when I type in:

# mdadm --run /dev/md1

I get the following output (copied by hand; might have typos):

raid5: device hda3 operational as raid disk 0
raid5: device hdg1 operational as raid disk 2
raid5: cannot start dirty degraded array for md1
RAID5 conf printout:
  --- rd:3 wd:2 fd:1
  disk 0, o:1, dev:hda3
  disk 2, o:1, dev:hdg1
raid5: failed to run raid set md1
md: peers->run() failed ...
mdadm: failed to run array /dev/md1: invalid argument

(The damaged disk that would normally appear as raid disk 1 is hde3)

This leads me to doubt that there are any superblock errors on the
filesystem as I had initially expected (the superblock error was most
likely generated because the array was inactive).  It looks like
purely a RAID issue.

I suppose that it would make sense if mdadm was reluctant to start a
RAID-5 array that was missing one device (since if a second device
failed, there would be actual data loss), but I thought if I wanted
to I *could* continue running even if a disk failed!  It's not *that*
hard to imagine a situation where one might need to start an array
that's degraded but still functional (I'm in such a situation right
now!).

If I can't start the array while it's in a degraded state, I suppose
I could rebuild the partition table on the damaged drive, reattach it
to the array, and let it rebuild so that I *can* start the array, but
that option scares me (I'll only try it if reassured by the
collective wisdom of the group).

This also probably means that the problem isn't anything that would
be more easily solved from Knoppix.

Lincoln Peters
lmpeters at mac.com