[NBLUG/talk] More hard drive problems

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 3 20:20:23 PDT 2005

On Monday 03 October 2005 06:18 pm, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> However, I ran Maxtor's PowerMax utility on the hard disk earlier today,
> and it was able to somehow repair the problem (!).

Cancel that; although it passed every test I ran on it (both from PowerMax and
from Linux), it won't hold a partition table.  I tried creating one using
cfdisk, saved it, and aside from a cryptic kernel message (which disappeared
quickly and doesn't seem to appear in the kernel logs), it appeared to save
correctly.  However, since the kernel message made me suspicious, I reopened
the disk using cfdisk, and it reported NO PARTITION TABLE.

Looks like I'll be giving Maxtor customer service a call tomorrow!

--
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Beware of low-flying butterflies.