[NBLUG/talk] opensshd delay after fail

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Mon Oct 17 14:57:23 PDT 2005

Bob Blick wrote:

>Everybody who reads their logs sees brute force ssh login attempts, once
>per second or more frequently.
>
>For highest security, having no users and disabling interactive ssh is the
>way to go, but this is impractical.
>
>Some people have routed sshd through the pam modules to add a delay, but
>pam doesn't behave the way one would like for ssh.
>
>Has anyone found a solution that adds a delay to sshd for failed login
>attempts? A patch to opensshd or an alternative to opensshd?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Bob

Hey, Bob:
I got a lot of help from this list last year (link to the relevant
thread in the NBLUG List Archive
<http://nblug.org/pipermail/talk/2004-October/008069.html>) on this very
subject.  The suggestions I liked were:
    - no root login
    - use a different port for ssh
    - use key pair authentication

My needs may be simpler than yours - I'm the only one who needs to log
into my machine.  I also thought it would be impractical to set up key
pairs, and that I would end up not being able to log into my box from
some random machine out in the world.  I left myself a sort of backdoor,
however:

I have an account on another machine, where I keep the public key for my
home machine.  If I really need to reach my machine from someplace where
I do not have a key, I log into the aforementioned account and then hop
to my machine from there.

I invite the security-minded among us to scold me if that sounds like a
bad idea, but I thought I'd mention it as an option.

-dave.