[NBLUG/talk] More hard drive problems

A'fish'ionado afishionado at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 21:59:49 PDT 2005

While I'm bugging the list about stuff... :-)

> I'm not even going to get into the attitude of the author of ReiserFS.
> Lots has already been made of that in higher circles.
>
> Now take a look at Ext3. It's well documented. Most of the tools for Ext2
> work with it.

Under SuSE with ReiserFS, I never see fsck run on boot. Under Debian with
Ext3, I see fsck run every 30 boots. At first I though this was just because
ReiserFS was a journaling file system; then I found out that Ext3 was too,
and I was puzzled. I had been ready to switch to ReiserFS with Debian, just
to not have to wait for fsck every 30 mounts; now I'm beginning to think
that would be exactly the wrong thing to do.

Not I'm thinking that its just that one set of developers has more
confidence in their code than the other. What I'm seeing might have even
more to do with the different distributions than the different file systems.

Anybody want to explain whether I'm right about this? Is disabling the
automatic fsck runs a sane thing to do, as long as I have a journaling
filesystem? (We're not talking about a server or anything here; just my
desktop systems.)

William