[NBLUG/talk] I miss my beep!

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Fri Sep 2 07:29:46 PDT 2005

Hey, lugglies:

I've been running FC4 for a while on my g40 thinkpad and I've just
recently noticed that my beep has run away from home.  You know, that
little reminder you get from your terminal that tells you there's more
than one tab-completion available, or that you're at the end of your
buffer in emacs.

I never knew how much I depended on that little beep until it was
gone. <sniff>

I had something similar occur when I upgraded to a 2.6 kernel on other
machines. The solution is to have the pcspkr module loaded ('modprobe
pcspkr', or better -  have it loaded automatically on startup).

Well, pcspkr IS loaded on my laptop, but my beep is still gone.
'lsmod | grep pcspkr' shows:

pcspkr                  4509  0

and 'xset q | grep bell' shows:

bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100

I googled this a bit and mostly found the module suggestion.  Can
anyone else think of something I could try?

Thanks!

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley