[NBLUG/talk] How Low Can We Go?

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Wed Apr 19 14:37:42 PDT 2006

> On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 11:53:39AM -0700, Stephen Cilley wrote:
>> Thanks for all of your input.
>> I got back from HSC about 30 minutes ago, I got
>> floppies and a pcmcia 10/100 card (I needed one
>> anyway.)  I tried to get one of the bootdisks to run
>> the lappy and it turns out that the floppy drive is
>> bad.  I couldn't even get the read LED to come on at
>> boot or under windows.  I'm fairly certain it's just
>> dead.  But Windows 95 has absolutely no problem with
>> the NIC so I can get any data I want on there under
>> the windows environment.  Other than that, it doesn't
>> look like it wants to swallow my pcmcia USB interface,
>> so it's my only input method.
>> So how do I do it now, with just a network connection?
>>
>> Stephen

HSC generally has the adapter, but it's part of a drive install kit now
and I think it's $15 or so. Handy bit of hardware to have arround though.
I've done win95 installs on cd-less laptops before in this manner. I'd
suspect you'd need the floppy to even get the wireless card working under
windows, but that may not be the case. Myself I'd probably partially take
apart the floppy drive and see if there are obvious problems. Could be a
bad connection or something.